Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Be Still and Still Moving

Our world is fast, crazy, sporadic jolts of information, noise, and beauty. I translate one language to another instantly, breathlessly.  Deciphering email, to google, to letters, excel, to human to heart. How does the mind keep up?

Sometimes when it's quiet there is a part of me inside that echoes "you were made for this."  For the stillness.  I was not made for the noisy, clamorous, clanging world.   Often what is seen as my dramatic reactions to loud noises is actually my inner musician proclaiming to the world to turn off the bass drum.



T.S. Eliot touches on this in his poem East Coker part V.

Here and there does not matter
We must be still and still moving <---(He really gets it right here)
Into another intensity
For a further union, a deeper communion 
...
"We must be still and still moving."
TS (I'm taking a chance calling him that) perfectly describes that dichotomy of  life.  I must be able to carry that quiet, content peace with me as I'm moving, juggling, and seeking in this often cacophonous, slightly out-of-tune symphony directed by Life. Again...

This practice of being still and still moving is probably one of my life's works in progress.   To walk in a way that wherever I go I'm still inside.  Just think about what that really means.  To not be shaken?  To have contentment beyond what you see? How do you remain still inside amongst such a loud world?  I find hope in that as I become better at being still the world will become just another instrument for me to harmonize with.


...interesting enough the bible talks in detail about being still and knowing that He is God.  Sounds like humans have been working at and pondering this for ages.

No comments: