Sunday, May 11, 2008

Walk The Line

I really do want to understand this more. And while I scoured the internet for "daughter of an alcoholic father" I read the words I struggled with.

But as I read over the answers to the questions or the stories of other children it only validates my actions.

"You have identified the crucial question of -where to draw the line. I think the line you need to draw should have you, your husband and the rest of your family on one side and your father on the other.

You need your family's love and support, something your father has forfeited, but this doesn't mean you can't offer your love and support to him while taking care to stay on your side of the line."

"It may be that the most loving thing you can do for him is to say you won't see him again until he has stopped drinking and give him the address of his local AA meeting, but at the same time you must accept that you cannot force him through the door."


No comments: