Monday, July 26, 2010

Faith Journey

I had the blessing of attending the memorial service of a very inspirational man, Dan Kuban.  Although I didn't know him well, his life still had touched mine over a spaghetti dinner I had with his family over a year ago.  Before the memorial service in the evening, my husband and I went to a Habitat House Dedication in his honor.  Him and his family donated their time, talents, and resources to building multiple habitat homes built both in Knoxville as well as in Mexico.

This man was a true example of what it means to be Christ like.  Dan decreased so that Christ could increase in his life.  Whenever people commented on his ever cheerful disposition or the work that had gone into building the homes, Dan always answered "It's Jesus."  In addition to the memorial service, before we departed the church notes from Dan's journal entry entitled "What's the one thing I'd leave?"  His entry was all about  spending time in the bible.  It speaks specifically to how the bible can answer all of our life's questions.  It has the corresponding verses about: how to work, how to interact with our boss, co-workers, how to make decisions, how to handle money, how not to handle money, how to be a spouse, how to raise children, how to pray, how to take sorrow, how to be joyful, how to be healthy, how to preach, and how to follow the Lord.

I'm planning on my own personal bible study with his journal entry and do further reading on the verses he specifically points out.  I may share my reflections on here.

As I continue my journey of faith I am constantly reminded of the importance to read and study the bible.  This is what Christ left us so we can follow his example most closely.  If we love Christ, it is our responsibility to express that love to him through understanding and obedience and continually to strive to live like he did, and there is no better place to learn how to do that then from the bible. Man has certainly taken things and twisted and woven them into his own, and it is my responsibility as a Christian to examine and re-examine what the bible says about how to live and how to worship and praise him and to do these things in the spirit of truth.

I must decrease so that He may increase.   

No comments: