Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Season of Change

I have been on a journey, most of it not measured in miles.

It started out with a plane ride into Atlanta, Georgia that got me onto the next plane to Knoxville, Tennessee. My first encounter with a true Knoxvillian that set next to me was very cool. Sitting down, he put up the arm rest that went between our two seats. Finally engaging in conversation after laughing together as we saw baggage being thrown into the bottom of the plane, I learned that he was working down in New Orleans. Revamping the city and overseeing the operations emergency relief effort, he had been away from home and his family for 8 months. Over casual conversation I realized this was the type of people I longed for in South Florida, this was the type of person I could pass in church on Sunday. Something felt right.

My next few days were filled with laughter, good food/drinks, warm moments, and listening. One afternoon we sat on the couch reading the newspaper and watching the news. Turning off the tv and thinking about the future, I turned and put my head on his chest and felt tears stream down onto his shirt. He held me closer and slowed my beating heart. We made peace with all the things that had troubled and excited and agitated us so far on this journey: the way life is a give and a take and a long term investment, and yes you can grow together. The truth is that as you begin to let someone grow closer to you, and you closer to them, you get the chance to learn to be more authentic everyday. What a great gift. The honesty and respect are so much better then the cutsy couple any day.

Those few days there with him gave brought a newfound depth to our relationship. (kisses aren't bad either) I mean, of course I miss him, but I also know that I'm so blessed to have someone like him in my everyday life.

No comments: