Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Distracted by Light


He had simply gotten distracted by the other lights.

The other day at the beach I had the chance to meet a new friend that gave me some insight into my own life. It was a baby sea turtle that had gotten turned around and was walking towards the town right off the beach. This small, little creature was trying with all this might to get to where he needed to go. All he knew was that where there was light was where he was supposed to be.

Spotting this small babe, I reached down and picked him up. He had simply gotten distracted by the other lights. I walked down to the water's edge and placed him into the water. Off he went swimming.

What does this have to do with me? He had simply gotten distracted by the other lights. Hung up on old expectations and feelings I too had become distracted by other lights. Floodlights. You know the type that knock everything else out of the picture; they cause you to lose perspective. But thanks to hands, all different types of hands, coming in different shapes and forms, picking me up, gently nudging me -through words, actions, and general self-examination (tough love) the light refocused. Accepting my situation and the amazing lesson it offers me, I'm turned around and back to being a lighthouse; a beacon that shines bright.


No comments: