Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Because you will. How could you not.

There was a smell of clean sheets and fresh powder in the air, and of course an extra commotion about the office. Ducking my head out into the hall, I spotted the baby carriage outside of Big Brothers office. Closing my eyes, for a moment, I imagined a world where rich, older aged bachelors did away with being "set in their ways" and gained the courage to marry that graceful woman and raise a son who would know why it was good to go to church, wear cufflinks, and eat italian food.

A quick mind check brought me back. A new mother from our office brought in her baby, and like any other estrogen enduced woman, I took the baby in with wide eyes.

Minutes passed, and another reality check, I had work to do. Work in more then the sense of the papers sitting on my desk, but the learning to be done, the fun to be had, the foundation to be laid, and don't forget to mention the graceful aging I'd like to do before I'm in that place.

I fumbled back through my to do list, but before I even gained slight focus, someone knocked at my office door and came running up to give me a hug from behind.

"You'll be a wonderful mom someday," LC said.

"How do you know," I asked, half serious.

"Because you will. I just know it. How could you not," she said very surely.

That was enough for me to carry on with any vigor and nice to think I could someday be that to someone. And not just a mom, but a wonderful mom. *In the distant future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and I'm sure that your wonderful child will have an exciting wonderful auntie as well :)