Sunday, December 02, 2007

Defining Peace

I've been thinking a lot about peace lately. We can all probably recite songs of peace, or come up with at least 50 symbols. War or peace, love and hate. These words get tossed around all the time. It's as if they are only on a global scale, and shades of grey don't exist. I'm not talking about world peace, we have to start smaller. What about in our daily interactions. The smile at a stranger or holding the door open one minute longer. There's the little quarrel or snapping remark the couple makes while doing the dishes, the sting lasting long after the words erupted from him mouth. But all is not lost in one moment, there's the young man giving his seat up to the elderly and all hope is born again.

These are our daily choices. These words and actions that we choose can bring us one step closer to the peace that this season stands for. Just one word or gesture. It's your choice. But before we can even begin to look at others, I will first examine myself. So let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now. With every step I take may this be my solomon vow.

No comments: