Saturday, July 15, 2006

DLM

Due to recent events and life's process you will find below a note written by me for my Nane.

Dearest Nane,

Even before I was born I know that you loved me. Somehow you even managed to build a house on a street named Emily Lane, and each and every year in the Spring we'd come down and visit you. I knew you loved me so much, cause I shared your nickname Lou . I was Emma Lou and you were called Lou-Lou when you were little. Plus you raised me to be a tiny dancer, just like you.

You've influenced my life so much, and your shear energy, prescence and spirit was that of an amazing woman. You defied odds and opened your own children's theater company. You ran classes and taught kids how to sing and dance, but more then that you gave them self esteem to be up on stage. Fortunatly enough for me, you passed on these wonderful gifts to Heidi and I as well. You were the first one who put me up on stage, and revealed within me my passion for drama and the arts. I'll never forget all the productions we put on in your family room or the dancing that you brought into our home whenever you visited us in Illinois. Thank you for teaching me the art of living with positiveness.

You were also such a brave woman. In the summer of 1983 your husband passed away. You and Grandpa Harold were in the midst of building a house in Sarasota, FL. And even with his passing you continued to build this house and move in. All these years, on your own, you were so brave and brought so much love into everyone that you came across. You and Muffin (her sheepdog) made a life for yourselves down there. All the charity work you did with the Humane Society and Oslo Theater. You were always so engaged and active in life. Giving back and loving everyone for who they were and what they had to offer.

You were always a lady. Having taken ballet lessons for so many years, you had the most perfect posture and beautiful shape. As a 5'4 woman, with the most petite little frame, you had the biggest zest and gusto for life that I've ever encountered. I'd like to think you were a huge influence on this attitude I have for life and that you showed me the true ways of a lady. Even as you got older you still took such good care of yourself and always were fashionable. I remember when you flew in for my high school graduation and would lay 4 different outfits out on the bed and ask me which one you should wear, and then what earrings. You put so much thought into yourself, and it was clear to everyone that you loved who you were. And we loved you. I loved climbing into bed with you in the morning, whenever you'd visit and giving you the tighest of hugs. Of course as the years went on you became even smaller, and sometimes when we'd hug you, we'd be fearful of hurting you. One year one someone gave you such a tight hug, it broke one of your ribs. You were just so beautiful in all of your Delores Louise Masonickness'. Thank you for being the lady that you were.

I'll never forget the trip that we took to Toronto Canada the year of my soph. summer in high school. We packed up our bags on the train and headed east for an adventure. I can remember carrying your bags and eating our little ritz cracker snacks with cheese. Till this day that's when of my favorite snacks too - and frequently ritz cracker crumbs can be found in our kitchen. We had a special relationship, made up of trips to Canada, me visiting you over Spring break, and of course when you, Mom, and I went to California. The best memory was when I was pushing you around in a wheelchair at the art museum, and you let me do pop a wheelies with you! You were such a good sport! Always.

Your love was amazing and unique. And your faith was rock solid. Even with the relationship bouts between Mom and Dad you always treated Mom like she was your own daughter. Your love for our family surpassed all boundaries and rules. You accepted us for who we were. Your love for God was an example to all of us. Each day you took time to pray, and at each meal we prayed as a family. You always talked to Heidi and I about your faith and how Jesus was the one who we could always count on, and that he'd get us through whatever hard times came about. You reminded us that even when you had to move to the nursing home that you imagined that you were living in a monastary. What a woman! I know that God awaits you and welcomes you with open arms. Heaven will embrace you and your family and Grandpa Harold are sure to be so happy to greet you when you come.

For now I pray and thank you for all that you have given, done, and brought to my life. You're spirit was always so lively and has no doubt left an everlasting love here. Thank you again for your example. I love you and as you enter into the light I pray and know that you will be greeted with a love that surpasses all we can imagine here. A love that knows no boundaries. You are blessed, you are forgiven, you are an angel. You are love.
Farewell tiny dancer.
Farewell my teacher.
Farewell my friend.
Farewell my caretaker.
Farewell Nane.
Thank you for letting me love you.
Thank you for letting yourself be loved.
I will see you again someday.
God bless you,
Emily

No comments: