Wednesday, August 16, 2006

School of Hard Knocks


I've officially returned to the residence I've taken up in South Florida for the next year. Even though I've only been back for roughly 3 days I had accumulated enough frustration that sent me on a 1 mile run and opened up a bottle of wine. Ahh...there are better ways to deal with this...

For starters, since I do not have clear expectations and responsibilities for my job at this current moment I making the most of my time by working on evaluations (job task) as well as investing in my personal growth. This means graduate school essays periodically wander across my computer desktop. For me this is fun because I enjoy writing, and it's good to see that I have experiences and short/long term goals that perfectly compliment an MBA program.

This startup business atmosphere, although very frustrating at times, does offer an excellent learning tool. The school of hard knocks teaches me everyday about the dos and don’ts of business.

  1. Get organized
  2. Hire enough staff
  3. Place your employees in the right positions
  4. Set clear expectations and goals
  5. Get everyone on the same page
  6. Quit growing if you don’t have the resources to handle it

It's a funny environment here and all I know is that it's motivating me to want more. The biggest problem that I face is that this environment is slightly de-motivating, as I feel that I am not accomplishing much because there aren’t any tones set. Additionally, since I pride being successful and enjoy being successful I have to create my own milestones. Good learning lesson about myself!

No comments: