Sunday, August 20, 2006

Technology and Women

I love technology, especially when I figure it out. My latest adventure has been with the wireless internet. The first thing I had to do was to have my local cable company out to install the modem for High Speed Internet. Great, easy, done. The next step was getting the wireless router to hook up to the modem (easy) and then link up to my computer. The best part was that we had some problems, but then I got it to work! I love it when this happens.

See, there's this stereotype around women and technology that I totally want to debunk. Ever since I was little I loved playing with technology and why, well my parents were nice enough to let me experiment on the stereo and how it hooked up to the tv. They let me try and figure out how nintendo hooked up to the television, and Dad even let me play around with his computer. One time Dad and I got so involved in trying to fix the computer that we got to take a look at the CD drive...and yes, you're right that computer did never come back to life. But that point is you have to not be intimidated by it and you have to trust yourself. They make it pretty easy on us nowadays.

To solve my little problem I went online and figured out how to run a command prompt from my computer that would give me my IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway. Once I had this I could keep the ball rolling. But I had a moment where I felt all energized inside, when I was typing in DOS mode.

It feels good to be able to work with technology. And now I'm announcing the birth of my little logitech camera made special for notebooks. This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Until then...

No comments: