Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fun is fun: Authors Invited to my 25th Birthday

Reading my dog-earred pages and highlighted passages, complete with chicken scratch, it's been decided who I would invite to my luncheon on the occasion of my 25th birthday....because we all need to have fun once in awhile.

C.S. Lewis - he would bring his world famous logic. We'd discuss a few of the insatiable thirsts I have, and come to the conclusion that it simply means that I was made for another world. Heaven itself.
"A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such as a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world...Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it...
C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)"

Emerson (and other transcendentalists) - we'd talk about dynamic growth. Calculate how to best destroy my cell phone, and get dimensions on the log cabin I want to build in the mountains one day.
“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.”Emerson

Robert Burns - He will recite "Oh my love is like a red, red rose" as a toast' followed by "Brown Penny" by Yeats. I love men who know how to love and mean it. It takes a stronger man to do that then anything else.

Harper Lee - because I want to defend all things noble, just and good. when i was little i wanted to grow up to be atticus finch. She'd get the princess w/ an edge thing.
"If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Roald Dahl - because we could joke like jokesters do. He'd buy trick candles, and they wouldn't go out unless I used a fire extinguisher! I'd be sure to be getting younger.
“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.”


To be continued...just remember you have a whole two years to plan for this event. What would your additions be?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

F. Scott Fitzgerald would know how to throw a party.