Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

For Lent, instead of doing what most people do, which is giving something up, I decided to take a different approach. What if instead of giving something up - like coffee, or chocolate, or the coca cola addicition you might have, what if I added something to my life, something that would actually advance my knowledge and faith towards the kingdom of Heaven. I'm not by any means saying that by giving up something you aren't doing that, but I am saying, think about WHY you are doing it.

For myself, I decided adding a daily devotional reading to my morning routine would be something I could do to get further into the bible and my study of it. I choose to concentrate my studies for this Lenten season around Proverbs. It's been great, instead of watching the news in the morning, I'm settled in on the couch with my oatmeal (it is a meal) and my Proverbs. It's like a vitamin, and possibly better and certainly not as nasty tastin. The first few chapters are written from the perspective of a father to a son. The verses are full of down to earth advice, but the common message is this "Get wisdom at all costs"

Second, I like the Proverbs 31 woman. She's a noble character, a female, who works and provides for her family and friends by using her unique talents effectively. She is a noble women, who is worth far more than rubies. She brings all those around her good, and works with eager hands. She sets about vigorously - meaning seeking out opportunity and her light is always shining. She is gracious and generous, extending her hands to the poor. She cares for her children, and raises them in faith. She supports her husband, and encourages him in his faith and good work. And she doesn't fear, for her faith is stronger then earthly mishaps. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

In studying this, I am provided with a great example of a woman that is both faithful and vigourous, possibly even outspoken. She knows the way of God and therefore can live out loud. Amen! Loud I am!

No comments: