Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Brief Reflection on Session1



Students crowded the campus for 6 days. And in a flash they had come and gone. However during this time, lives were changed, stories were made, and giant strides occured. Students were not the only people touched, but staff as well. Sometimes we grow in an hour or overnight, other times certain growth takes years. But if we choose to accept life, it's opportunities, and challenges as learning experiences then growth is inevitable.

As for myself, ETM, I know much growing has been done. I've learned and become better at trusting others and placing the "carrying out the plan" in their hands. After day 1 I knew right away that the only way this thing was going to come off the ground was if we were all in it together, 100%, and that every member of our team had something significant and special to bring to our table that I wanted to motivate and inspire them to share. While inspiring and motivating it was also necessary to not always be the "nice" one. I had to make some decisions and quickly learned to delegate tasks and responsibilities. I believed in them, and they certainly prevailed. I learned how to run a tight ship, as the LTC would call it. Meetings were short, there wasn't much room for debate, and clear and precise orders were required from me in order for us to function most effectively. We all needed to be on the same page.

Secondly, energy is everything. Different groups have different dynamics, and I am very pleased to say that my staff is simply oustanding. I don't believe that this type of energy just occurs. I believe that it takes work. Our group wasn't always this close, but over time they formed bonds of trust and communication. I witnessed them throughout the week anticipating future events, places of possibly problems, and time and time again they picked up where another TL may have left off. They've even come to call themselves a "family"...hmmm wonder were that term came from.?!

My journey has taken me to a great place. At this juncture in my life I know that it is my responsibility and purpose to share my passion with those around me. I am so blessed to be able to do something that I love and combine it with my strengths and have the chance to keep learning so much. As I continue on in the summer I hope to reflect back to this moment in time and pray that it refuels me. May this first session be the stepping stone to another fabulous 4.

No comments: