Wednesday, November 08, 2006

My Own Address

There's been a lot of stimulation lately surrounding different avenues of my life. It finally feels good have been able to take a breathe, look over the horizon, and navigate accordingly. As far as the important things in life go these are the relevant issues that have been on my mind.

1. What I want to do. This includes a lot. I've had a surge in my research and reading lately. Education is power. And so in my investigating I found another degree I'd like to get in Educational Policy and Leadership. I've had dreams since I entered education of being able to have further impact in acting on the state board or working for a think tank in research, possibly in terms of advocating on a higher level to get experiential learning in the classroom. I've thought about when the right time is, if I should switch things up in terms of my MBA applications, and have come to the following conclusion: start out with the generalist degree, get some working experience, dabble in a few personal endevors to get a taste for more, and evaluate. I am young, and I'm not going to get myself thinking I don't have time to do it all i.e. the career, the family, my own business, and a nice vacation in the mountains...ah.

2. Politics. I didn't come from the most political family, sure my parents voted, but we didn't have real debates over these issues. Of course the majority of the family is very conservative and republican, but they didn't really tell me why. It wasn't until I took a few political science courses at DePaul that I started to get an inkling as far as what goes on. With the latest mid-term election I have to say I have become even more interested in politics. Reading about them, talking about them, and thinking about them. As a citizen of the US I feel it is not only my right but my duty to use my education and decision making skills to be impactful and serve our country. I want to live for a cause, and maybe even wave my banner. I believe that in the coming few years I want to find a place for my voice to be heard, an outlet for me to be a further advocate for my views through supporting and educating my fellow citizens.

3. Location, location, location. More specifically, DC and the opportunities it could hold for me as a budding student and professional. In being there in the coming election year I could be host to a wide array of events that may foster and develop those very things I so wish to imbed into my professional and personal life/career. Additionally, I've done Chicago. I know the scene, and I know what it offers. For those of you that know me more intimatly you know there is a fierce passion that burns inside of me for adventure and the new. I enjoy a good challenge. It's been my experience that in those situations where I am breaking new grounds that I learn the most about myself and the world around me. New experiences = new ways of thinking = inspiration. If you've ever seen me bored, it's not a good thing...

4. Can't lie - the gmat. Thanks to a recent interview I've mustered up great amounts of motivation again to really kick this thing in the rear. I'm determined to do well and definatly am not going to take it again. This is not an option. Heck, all the other components of my application are pretty darn competitive, and I'll be damned if I can't keep up that trend.

5. Being a woman. Laugh all you want. I think it's awfully funny how excited and astonished rare it is for women nowadays to get an MBA. And moreso how excited those administrative folks you do speak to get when you say you don't want to just get one, but you want to serve the fellow female MBA's in a greater leadership capacity. And to tell you the truth that's one of the main reasons I want to get an MBA. Sure I want the hard skills to go with the soft skills, but I also want to help inspire, motivate, and educate fellow females about the opportunities in business. Equally important is the leadership component, and I have a couple of things to say about this and it's development in the business industry.

Enough thoughts, it's time for dream land. Au revoir` (bet you didn't know I spoke french, or at least 1/8)

No comments: