Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Sweet Oma

When I was younger, I got the nickname Sweet Em. Oma – that’s what we call her – it’s German for Grandmother (not grandma) gave it to me. When I was younger all my cousins and I would sleepover at Oma and Opa’s house. We’d sit around the kitchen counter, and she’d make us pancakes and hot chocolate for breakfast and she’d tell us the story of when we were first born, and the special feature that she picked out about each of her grandchildren; for Matt, his blue eyes, Heidi her lips, and me my sweetness. Every time I see her, she’s says my nickname, Sweet Em and reminds me that I'm the sweetest girl she's ever met. Somehow she has a way of making each grandchild feel like she loves them best; it's amazing. I’ll forever be Sweet Em, it’s on all my birthday cards, books she signed and bought me, letters and now emails. I swear, if you listen to my chest with a stethoscope, what you’d hear is me being called Sweet Em by my Oma.

No comments: