Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Discovery: Soapstone Valley Park

So I finally got up to gumption and energy to go for a run. Initially I was just going to hop on the treadmill, but that came to a haulting screetch b/c some dude who pretended to be a runner was using it. Those are the type of people that need to use treadmills I suppose.

So I grabbed my ipod and hit the pavement. Before I knew it though I had wandered onto a dirt path in the middle of the woods. I came to discover that there's a park called Soapstone Valley Park that actually has trails that connect all the way to Rock Creek that's just around the corner from where I live.

It honestly is like a little piece of heaven out there. The landscaping is just like back home, lots of green, dirt, and great trees. I like when things can appeal to my sensual side, it's so often during the day that we get swept away into tapping into our intellectual appeal and logical sense that being able to revel in the green of a tree or the smell of fresh air is taken in with open arms. There are also homes hidden deep into the woods that are pretty neat. I think I'm going to be able to handle living out here for the next year and a half to two years. It's these little things like a park in the middle of my urban neighborhood and the crickets I hear at night that make this a little less like a city, and a little more like a home.

2 comments:

Mary Geralyn said...

Hey! I live right around that area too - and I just realized how pretty it is. But, question, where does the trail end up? If you get to Rock Creek, then what?

Anonymous said...

Check out this site for ideas; there are quite a few "mostly trail" routes you can do. Why ever run on a treadmill in this weather?

http://washdc.globalweb.org/trail6.html#sv